The VTS post in Ophthalmology at the Royal Berkshire Hospital aims to provide a broad experience and understanding of ophthalmology from a starting point of little or no prior experience in the specialty. The trainee joins a busy department and has a timetable covering all aspects of eye care, including general and specialist clinics, eye casualty, orthoptics (squints and children) and eye theatre; the timetable can easily be adjusted to suit individual requirements and there is no on-call commitment.
Trainees become proficent in use of ophthalmic equipment, principally the slit-lamp, and leave the department at the end of six months able to manage the majority of eye conditions seen in Primary Care, whilst recognising those conditions that require referral.
Clinical Supervisor : Miss Sarah Lucie Watson
- Miss Annette Bacon, Oculoplastics
- Miss Brenda Billington, Vitreo-retinal and paediatrics
- Mr Peter Constable, Glaucoma
- Mr Martin Leyland, Cornea/External eye Disease (see picture)
- Mr Andrew Pearson, Oculoplastics/Lacrimal
- Mr Vaughan Tanner, Vitreo-retinal
- Miss Sarah-Lucie Watson, Medical Retina (College Tutor)
- Mr A.N.El-Amir, vitreo-retinal and paediatrics
All do general Ophthalmology/Cataracts.